Home Education US Consulate Lagos donates books worth $24,000 to varsity

US Consulate Lagos donates books worth $24,000 to varsity

con - Lagospost.ng

In an effort to strengthen the structure of learning in the Nigerian educational system, the United States Consulate General in Lagos has donated a collection of books valued at $24,000 to KolaDaisi University (KDU), Ibadan.
con - lagospost.ng
Stephen Ibelli, Public Affairs Officer, US Consulate Lagos, announced this last week Wednesday when speaking with journalists during his official visit and the donation of books to the KDU, he described the initiative as one of the most effective avenues to assist the university.

Furthermore, he claimed that the measure was not for profit and said: “We don’t think like that, that is not our matter. We are not interested in the bottom line. All we want is to invest in people and the university education; their development and future.

“The profit for us is the turnout of the investment in the students of KDU; or the learning that is going on and the knowledge that the students are receiving. That is what really makes us happy; that’s what brings us to work every day,” Mr Ibelli said.

He expressed his joy at what the KDU is doing to bring education to Nigerian students, he said the US Consulate had asked KDU to identify a need and the need was books

Related Post
COWLSO to boost education in Lagos rural communities

“We felt donating the books was the best approach to partnering with KolaDaisi University. The faculties themselves identified the books they wanted. We ordered for them and out of a total of 234 books that were ordered at the rate of $24,000, we already have 80 per cent delivered while we await the remaining 20 per cent,” Mr Ibelli added.

“Many of these books are very difficult to get or find. So, we used our diplomatic resources and permission to bring those books into the country in a much faster way than would have been normal.”

Mr Ibelli assured KDU of the US consulate of a continued partnership with the university through its Fulbright programme, in which Americans come to the KDU and the KDU will send its scholars to the United States to study.

In his response, the Vice-Chancellor of the University, Professor Adeniyi Olatubosun, said that the gesture would undoubtedly “strengthen our capacity in building up students and graduates who will be employable when they get out of the university. Also, it will promote our research profile as well as the development of humanity.”

He thanked the US Consulate, Lagos for its benevolent and philanthropic act towards KDU while charging other agencies and those who have the means to replicate the US Consulate act “that is the way we can drive our system, equip our students and have a great future for this country.”

In his remarks, the pro-chancellor and chairman of the council, Professor, Adeniyi Osuntogun(OFR) praised the US Consulate and thanked Mr Ibelli, and his team for their special interest in the university, noting, “this is going to bring more opportunities to the university.”

He urged students to be careful with books and also make sure they learn from them.

Previous articleABCON champions measures to repress naira depreciation
Next articleSanwo-Olu’ wife urges responders to collaborate with locals during disasters

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.