Spain’s Women’s World Cup-winning squad have rejected the national team call-ups and said they’ll continue to reject it unless there are more changes at the Spanish football federation following the scandal over Luis Rubiales’ unsolicited kiss.
According to AFP, a source close to the federation revealed this on Friday, saying, “They are not coming.”
This was a few hours before new coach Montse Tome was set to announce her squad on Friday for the Nations League matches against Sweden and Switzerland on September 22 and 26.
Since the incident where Rubiales forcibly kissed midfielder Jenni Hermoso on the lips during the 2023 Women’s World Cup medal presentation after Spain defeated England in the final in Australia, Spanish football has been in turmoil.
In a letter signed by 81 Spain players, including the 23 world champions and released last month, the players stated that they would not play for the national team without significant changes at the head of the federation.
Since then Rubiales has resigned and the football federation sacked their controversial coach Jorge Vilda, named Tome in his stead and pledged further internal reforms. Tome was Vilda’s former assistant manager.
Spanish media said the players would later on Friday release a statement outlining the changes that they still expect to see before they return to the pitch.