The Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria, FAAN has confirmed reports of fire incident at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport early Wednesday morning.
In a statement, Director, Public affairs and Consumer Protection, FAAN, Abdulahi Yakubu Funtua said the fire incident occurred at about 7.50 am on Wednesday morning.
FAAN said the fire incident followed notice of smoke which was later traced to the basement of the Terminal building.
He said, “At approximately 0723 hours this morning, a suspected electrical spark at the baggage hall ceiling caused the smoke incident that was reported at Terminal 1 of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, located in Ikeja, Lagos.
“The source of the smoke was identified as burning litium inverter battery installation at the basement .
He said firefighters from the Aerodrome Rescue and Fire Fighting Services (ARFFS) of the airport initiated immediate action which successfully brought the fire under control.
Funtua revealed that the Lagos Airport Terminal building was promptly evacuated because the smoke had permeated some areas of the facility.
The FAAN spokesperson reiterated the unwavering commitment of the agency to the safety and well-being of passengers, staff, and all Lagos airport users.